Advanced Placement Summer Institute
CICERO Systems’ Advanced Placement Summer Workshops have been endorsed by the Middle States Regional Office of the College Board.
CICERO Systems, the products and services division of the American Institute for History Education, is pleased to offer high-quality professional development for teachers of Advanced Placement courses. Our workshops are intended to help novice and experienced AP teachers. In addition, we encourage teachers of Honors classes to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
The AP summer workshops will be held Monday - Thursday, July 28-31, 2014 on the campus of Kingsway Regional High School in nearby Woolwich Township, NJ. Accommodations will be provided a short drive from the school.
OFFICIAL SWEEPSTAKES RULES
[ x ] Close Sweepstakes Rules
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE CHANCE OF WINNING. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to all federal, state and local laws.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Sweepstakes is open to all individuals who legally reside within the 50 United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada (except the Province of Quebec) who are eighteen (18) years of age or older as of the date of entry. Employees, officers, directors, contractors and agents of CICERO Systems ("Sponsor"), its subsidiaries, related and affiliated companies, and the advertising and promotion agencies of each who are involved in any aspect of the creation, production, operation, execution and fulfillment of the Promotion, and the immediate family members (parent, child, sibling or spouse) and anyone living in the same household of any of the foregoing (whether related or not), and those affiliated with the venue hosting the program, are not eligible to win.
3. ENTRIES. The sweepstakes is open through Memorial Day, 2014 ("Promotional Period"). Entries may be submitted during the Promotional Period with only one entry per person by:
i. Registering online at cicerosystems.com/ap (Notes: Registration requires all forms to be fully completed and returned along with full payment.)
ii. U.S. Mail without registration. Mail entrants can submit a postcard or letter including the phrase “CICERO APSI Sweepstakes Entry,” along with your name, address and phone number and e-mail address to: CICERO Systems, 1455 Kings Hwy, Swedesboro, NJ 08085. All mail-in entries, including addressing, must be hand written, mailed separately in a sealed envelope and have sufficient postage. Each mail-in entry must be postmarked during the Promotion Period and received by 5:00 pm ET May 26, 2014 to be eligible. Mail-in entries mechanically reproduced will not be accepted. Entries that are incomplete or non-compliant with these Official Rules will be void. Responsibility for receipt of each entry rests solely with the entrant. CICERO Systems is not responsible for incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete entry of information or for lost, delayed, misdirected or mutilated entries or mail. Information contained in entrant's entry form and Sponsor's records is subject to verification by Sponsor, in such frequency and manner as Sponsor in its sole discretion deems appropriate. Entries that are incomplete, forged or otherwise defective or made outside authorized channels, including those that have failed due to human processing error or otherwise, shall be void. Participants who disregard these official rules or abuse, threaten or harass CICERO Systems or any CICERO Systems representative in connection with this Sweepstakes may be declared ineligible and have their access to this or other CICERO Systems-sponsored promotions blocked. All entries become the property of CICERO Systems and will be neither acknowledged nor returned. CICERO Systems will not accept correspondence or telephone inquiries regarding the status of entries or the administration of the Sweepstakes.
4. PRIZES. Three (3) Prize Winners. First place drawing wins a KENNA™ Tablet. Each of two runners-up will receive a $30 Visa Gift Card. Winner acknowledges that CICERO Systems has not made nor is in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prize described herein, including, but not limited to, its quality, merchantability, or fitness for use. All warranties are hereby disclaimed by CICERO Systems and the winner will accept the prize "as is." No cash substitutions for prizes unless otherwise indicated. Winner is solely responsible for all applicable taxes (including, without limitation, sales tax and income tax), and any other costs incurred in claiming, or using the prize. Prizes cannot be assigned or transferred to a third party, exchanged or redeemed for cash except as stated herein or as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
5. SELECTION. All Prize Winners will be selected in a random drawing to be held during the week of the AP Summer Institutes from among all entries received during the Promotional Period. Drawing will be conducted by the Sponsor, whose decisions in all matters related to this Sweepstakes shall be final and binding. Potential winner will be notified in person, by e-mail, U.S. mail or phone call within thirty (30) days of the drawing at the address/phone number supplied by winner at time of entry and is subject to verification. If a potential winner declines to accept the prize, if prize notification is returned without a forwarding address or in the event that prize notification cannot be accomplished within ten (10) days from the first notification attempt, the potential winner may be disqualified and CICERO Systems will select an alternate winner. The potential winner may be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and, except where prohibited by law, a Publicity Release that must be notarized and returned to CICERO Systems within fourteen (14) days of receipt of notification or prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected. For purpose of these Official Rules, entrant will be deemed to be in receipt of any Sponsor request or notification, (a) in the event that Sponsor sends the request by postal mail, five business days after the request was sent by Sponsor, (b) in the event that Sponsor sends the request by special commercial courier, on the day the courier indicates delivery was made, and (c) in the event that Sponsor sends the request by e-mail, on the day that the e-mail was sent by Sponsor. By entering, each participant releases Sponsor from any and all liability, damages, claims or causes of actions of any kind whatsoever (however named or described) for injuries, damages, or losses to person or property which may be sustained in connection with the Sweepstakes, or the receipt, enjoyment or use of a prize. Winners shall grant permission to CICERO Systems to use his or her name, age, city and state of residence, voice, picture or other likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation (except where otherwise provided by law), prior notification or approval, in any medium, now or hereinafter known, throughout the world in perpetuity. By entering this Sweepstakes each participant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of CICERO Systems, whose decisions regarding all aspects of the Sweepstakes shall be final. If the potential winner is 18 or older, but a minor in his or her state of residence, the prize may be awarded to the minor's parent or legal guardian, and if applicable, the potential winner's parent or legal guardian must agree to these Official Rules, consent to the award of the prize and sign all required affidavits, consents and releases.
6. CHANCES TO WIN. The number of entries received will determine odds of winning. All entries, whether submitted automatically or by mail, have an equal chance of winning. To learn the winners' identities (available after July 31, 2014), send a self-addressed, stamped business size envelope to: APSI Winners' List, CICERO Systems, 1455 Kings Hwy, Swedesboro, NJ 08085. All requests for the winners' identity must be received by September 30, 2014.
7. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor for unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Promotion, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bugs, worms or destruction of any aspect of the Promotion, or loss, miscount, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of a participant's entries in the Promotion. Sponsor is not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind that may be sustained to participants or any other persons resulting from participation in the Promotion. Sponsor makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prizes. Winner bears all risk of loss or damage to prize after delivery/acceptance. All participants and / or winner, on behalf of themselves, their executors, heirs and assigns, by acceptance of any prize related to this Promotion, agree to release Sponsor from any and all injury of any kind to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with the conduct, promotion or outcome of the Promotion, receipt, ownership or use of any such prize or while preparing for, participating in or traveling to and / or from any prize-related activity in connection with the Promotion or otherwise. Under no circumstances will Sponsor be liable for punitive, incidental, consequential or any other damages.
8. PROMOTION CANCELLATION. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, suspend and / or terminate this Promotion in whole or in part at any time during the Promotion Period for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation, in the event that the Promotion is not capable of running as planned or as intended by these Official Rules due to causes beyond the Sponsor's control which corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper operation of the Promotion. In the event of cancellation/suspension, Sponsor will conduct the Promotion and determine the winner in a manner determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion to be fair, appropriate and consistent with the spirit of these Official Rules. Notice of any such action shall be posted on Sponsor’s website. In the event of the Promotion's cancellation, all entries will be deemed expired and void and will be ineligible for the Sweepstakes. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the advertising of any prize included in the Promotion or the Official Rules or other promotional materials.
9. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION. All participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, whose decisions in all aspects of this Promotion shall be final and binding. By participating in this Promotion, all participants agree to the terms of the foregoing. Sponsor reserves the right to restrict an individual from participating in the Promotion if Sponsor deems or suspects that such person has engaged in any unsportsmanlike, inappropriate, uncooperative, disruptive, fraudulent, potentially fraudulent, or unusual behavior or activity or any activity deemed in Sponsor's sole discretion, to be in violation of these Official Rules or generally inconsistent with the intended operation of the Promotion.
10. DISPUTE RESOLUTION. Each participant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Sweepstakes, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a federal or state court within the County of Gloucester, NJ; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes, but in no event shall such damages include attorneys' fees; and (3) under no circumstances will a participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and each participant hereby waives all rights to punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages other than actual out-of-pocket expenses. Participant shall not claim or receive any damages subject to being multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participants and Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New Jersey, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New Jersey.
11. DATA PRIVACY. Information participants provide to CICERO Systems will be used to communicate with participants regarding this Sweepstakes and otherwise as set forth in CICERO Systems' privacy policies. The winner's first name, city and state of residence may be posted on the Sponsor web site and printed in Sponsor newsletter(s) or other promotional materials.
12. SPONSOR. This sweepstakes is sponsored by CICERO Systems, 1455 Kings Hwy, Swedesboro, NJ 08085. You may request that your name be excluded from all lists of names and addresses used by CICERO Systems for sweepstakes or skill contest promotions by submitting a written request to CICERO APSI Sweepstakes, 1455 Kings Hwy., Swedesboro, NJ 08085. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Promotion at any time and substitute another promotion in its place.
Benefits of CICERO's Summer Institutes
- Located 20 minutes south of Philadelphia and about 1 hour from Atlantic City, NJ
- One stop shopping - Our resident option includes lodging and dinner arrangements. Our all-inclusive adds all travel arrangements as well!
- Lodging at the Holiday Inn Swedesboro: Located near Philadelphia, PA in southern New Jersey, the Holiday Inn® Philadelphia South - Swedesboro hotel provides travelers with big-city bustle and the comfort of a small town. Our hotel is near Philadelphia, PA as well as Wilmington, DE, Atlantic City, NJ, and a wide selection of restaurants and evening activities.
|AP Biology||This intensive, four-day course will focus on the newly redesigned AP Biology curriculum. Primary topics to be discussed will be the integration of the Four Big Ideas and the Seven Science Practices into the teachers’ existing curriculum. The lab component will focus on inquiry and labs from the CollegeBoard’s new lab manual. Additional topics will include the AP audit, and the integration of biotechnology, experimental design and technology into the AP Biology course; including how to use TI-84 graphing calculators with CBLs in some of the labs. Participants will learn how to prep the labs, to perform the labs and how to analyze the results. Biotechnology labs that may be included are BioRad’s, pGLO transformation lab and gel electrophoresis. Additionally, curriculum issues such as essay grading, testing, the Internet, technology and review techniques will be examined.||Cheryl Mitchell|
|AP Chemistry||This course is designed to assist AP teachers in building the foundations for success in teaching AP Chemistry. Emphasis will be placed on the rigor of the material that students need to be successful on the AP Chemistry exam. An emphasis will be placed on the new curriculum framework and its implementation in your classroom. We will review the requirements on the course audit and the syllabus requirements. Time will be allowed for best practices and for sharing ideas as a group. Laboratory investigations will be incorporated with the discussion of the theory, with special emphasis on student-inquiry labs.||James Ealy|
|AP English Language and Composition||This workshop will address the primary goals of the AP English Language and Composition course providing an introduction to and an in-depth examination of the curriculum and exam. Participants will work with essay questions from each of the three free-response essays including a close look at the Scoring Guide (rubric) and the samples. Time will be allotted for individual scoring of the essays and small- and large-group discussions about the scoring of samples. Part of the workshop will be allotted to examining the multiple-choice (Section A) part of the exam. Strategies will be identified, discussed, and tested to apply in the AP Language and Composition classroom for each of the skills addressed in the course curriculum. These strategies will address specific pedagogical approaches to teaching the course including team-based learning. Further, strategies will focus on involving students in formulating prompts, determining appropriate texts to support prompt requirements, and practicing the tasks associated with the exam. Ample time will be devoted to supported development of a course syllabi and opportunities for exchanging best practices will be featured. Participants can expect both class work, homework, and in-class assessments as part of their rigorous and results-driven experience.||Donald Stoll|
|AP United States History|
This course will provide an overview of the course content, the structure and expectation of the United States History exam – which include the Document Based Questions and the Free Response Questions, as well as teaching strategies geared toward student success. Teachers will look at exam scoring and other valuable component of the course.
All teachers will receive a certificate for 30 hours of College Board approved instruction. In addition, all New Jersey teachers will receive 30 professional development hours from the American Institute for History Education as a state-approved vendor.
All instructors are certified by the College Board and also serve as Readers for the AP Test in their subject area.
Registration Deadline has now passed. Call Linda for last minute availability at 856-241-1990
Class Schedule (* includes continental breakfast and onsite lunch for all participants)
|Monday - Thursday||8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
|Commuting Participant||Base tuition includes continental breakfast and lunch each day along with a daily parking permit.||$845|
|Resident Participant||This includes base tuition above plus adds lodging and dinner for each full day along with a daily parking permit.||$1,385|
|Resident Participant with Travel Included||This includes base tuition plus adds all housing and meals and travel expenses by air or train. CICERO Systems will handle all travel and transport to provide one-stop service for your attendees.||$2,500|
Price includes all resources, including any handouts, books and pamphlets, provided by the instructor or the College Board.
Graduate Credit Option- ONLY $225/credit hour!
Interested in receiving graduate credits for attending the AP Summer Institute? CICERO Systems has partnered with Ashland University to offer attendees 3 graduate credit hours for just $675. That’s just $225 per credit hour! Participants must register separately for graduate credit directly with Ashland University and are required to complete a written lesson plan to be submitted following the summer institute. Details on registration and lesson plan requirements will be provided to registered attendees in June via email and in-person during the course.
Participants must attend the entire course, Monday through Thursday, in order to earn a certificate and 30 professional development hours.
All cancellations must be received in writing (letter or email) or by fax (no phone calls accepted) by July 15, 2014. Full refunds, minus a $99 processing fee, are available for cancellations prior to July 15. Refund requests after July 15, 2014, are subject to an appeal process and may not be honored. A substitute may be sent in place of the original applicant. CICERO Systems reserves the right to cancel any Institute (due to insufficient enrollment) up to 2 weeks prior to the start of APSI. Participants will be notified in writing if that is the case.VIEW OUR RESULTS! View our PD Experts!
*Android is a trademark of Google Inc.